The Economic Survey for 2017 was tabled in Parliament on January 31st 2017.
The following are the main highlights from the report.
- While the growth rate for this financial year will 6.75 to 6.75 percent
- Demonetisation has affected the growth rate by 0.25 to 0.5 percent which is less adverse than what was expected.
- GST bill has been passed and is expected to be available by July 2017.
- Foreign Direct Investments (FDI) to the country was highest ever in any year at USD 55 billion.
- Jan Dhan, Kisan credit, RuPay card and Bhim has taken the banking system to more people.
- Farming sector growth expected at 4.1 percent.
- Urged debate on Universal Basic Income to combat poverty.
- Countries reliance on fossil fuel needs to be reduced.